J.D. Salinger: Legendary author dies at 91

Saturday, January 30, 2010


“I hope to hell that when I do die somebody has the sense to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetary. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.”
- J.D. Salinger

New York City - The legendary author who ruled the youths when he wrote his famous and award winning book "Catcher in th Rye" died at the age of 91, he died of natural causes.


"The Catcher in the Rye" with its immortal teenage protagonist, the twisted, rebellious Holden Caulfield, came out in 1951, a time of anxious, Cold War conformity and the dawn of modern adolescence. The Book-of-the-Month Club, which made "Catcher" a featured selection, advised that for "anyone who has ever brought up a son" the novel will be "a source of wonder and delight — and concern."

The novel was included on a 2005
Time magazine list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923, and it was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century.

Some of his works were: Nine stories, Franny and Zooey, Raise high the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An introduction and his last work which was released in the New Yorker was Hapworth 16, 1924.

"I love to write and I assure you I write regularly," Salinger said once in a brief interview.
"But I write for myself, for my own pleasure. And I want to be left alone to do it."

I must admit, I haven't read Catcher in the Rye yet and I know I am missing a lot.
It will be my goal to read it and I hope someday, I could also publish one of the short stories that I have written.

A salute to you J.D Salinger

this is gracee now signing off :)


You Might Also Like

0 comments