Trespass 2011: Movie Review

Monday, November 14, 2011





Trespass is one of those movies that you'll know what will happen in the  end but you still manage to watch it from beginning till the end. Of course, I wanted to watch this movie simply because it is from Joel  Schumacher and it stars two of my favorite actyors: Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman.


The story of a rich couple and their daughter who become the victim of a brutal home invasion,  they play a married couple, Kyle and Sarah Miller, who live in a sprawling modern mansion so remote and chilly-looking it could double as a house in horror flicks (here goes my wild imagination) . It's meant to reflect the state of their marriage, with the work-obsessed Kyle (he's a diamond dealer) ignoring the already ignored-feeling Sarah. They have a teen-age daughter, Avery (Liana Liberato), who sneaks out on the evening in question to go to a party her parents have forbidden her from attending.


Enter the burglars, led by the scary, skeevy Ben Mendelsohn (Animal Kingdom), a group that also includes the growly Dash Mihok and the hunk Cam Gigandet. Convinced that Kyle has a fortune in uncut stones and cash in his home office safe, they threaten Kyle and Sarah with death unless Kyle turns over the valuables. The rest of the movie became too repetitive. The bargaining part is a little irritating though.




"Do this or I kill her." "If you kill her, I won't do it. Let her go and I'll give you what you want.""No, give me the stuff first and then I'll let her go.""No, because I know you'll kill us when I give you what you want."


The villains in this movie are not very threatening. Without spoiling anything, they make so many decisions that come off as really idiotic and it’s hard to take them seriously. I also had some trouble telling them apart sometimes. There wasn’t really much time taken to develop any of them on an individual level. I couldn’t even figure out who the main bad guy was.


There are times when the movie is very poorly shot and edited. At times it’s hard to see what’s going and therefore it’s difficult to get sucked into the story.


Throughout the film, the main characters are in constant danger yet I never was really concerned about them. We don’t really learn much about them. So they didn’t feel very real. There were  a few moments where I kind of cared about them, but for the most part I didn’t.





And this is just a small thing, but did anyone think that the way Nicholas Cage and Nicole Kidman were dressed in this movie seemed a little bit off. It looked they were in another decade or something. I don’t know, maybe that’s just me.


This isn’t like a movie that made me angry or I couldn’t handle watching or something like that, but it’s not good. I recommend that you don’t watch it, unless you want, I guess you can. But I’m warning you, you might not like it. 

watch the trailer here:




You Might Also Like

0 comments