New Year's Eve Movie Review

Saturday, December 17, 2011



2011 is about to end and now, almost all of us are preparing for 2012. This is the theme of the New Year's Eve. It is a great follow up to Valentines Day which is a film that talks about how we are all connected to love and how our life would be more meaningful if we there's "love" in our lives. Of course, when I first saw the trailer of this movie, I can't help but feel excited, I am so looking forward to this movie just because I am a sucker for romance. I love feel good movies and I will not let the opportunity pass by without watching such movies like New Year's Eve. 



The movie has the typical characters you would expect: a dejected girlfriend (Katherine Heigl), a grumpy-bitter guy who hates New Year's Eve (Ashton Kutcher), hopeless romantic-naive (Lea Michele).  The movie has so many characters that the list of stereotypical introduction could go on for another 4 paragraphs. The film had its funny moments especially every scene with the odd couple bike messenger Zac Efron & the weird secretary Michele Pfieffer as they journey on to complete her 2011 bucket list (I am really tempted to do this, I mean if ever I can find a Zac Efron look a ike here in Manila why not, but the question is, will that guy be swooned by me if I ever coerced him to tag along with me? hmmm); its a cheesy moment with Hilary Swank’s speech on what a New Year means when the infamous ball doesn’t raise above Times Square (but I really-really love her speech!); and its a romantic moment when Josh Duhamel recounts the meeting of his secret long lost love a year ago New Year’s Eve and hope to see her again (I'm not going to spill it here on who that girl is, because it will be revealed at the end of the movie). A film with all of this spunk wouldn’t be complete without a spicy Latina to add a little flavor to the mix with Sofia Veraga playing herself. I'm actually disturbed with her boobs though. Moving on...





I enjoyed the films ups, downs, and bouncing all around to different storylines and twists in fate, but there are moments where you might need a Garmin GPS to tell you where to go next and a map to connect how everyone is related. I have been anticipating this film ever since I heard they started filming in New York last year. I didn’t realize that Garry Marshall had casted every willing actor plus his sister Penny, good job on this. I like the movie because of the laughs, moments of sweetness, and the good time predictability. The film was a borderline musical, but I’m a total Gleek and loved Lea’s solo and backup renditions. Although I was also imagining, what if they got Mandy Moore instead of Lea Michelle, I love Mandy Moore, they have a rendition of "Have a little Faith in Me" which is of course sung by Many Moore but in the movie, Jon Bon Jovi and Lea Michelle had a duet with this song. Bon Jovi played the role of Jensen, which i also like playing his real life. 

To not give spoilers, I won’t comment on all the pop-up star cameos, but I will say that a favorite fine Conscious Rapper turned Actor makes an appearance that just warms your heart on a cold December night in a Skype scene with Halle Berry as a soldier in Iraq. One thing for sure after watching this film is that you will start to plan where you want to be at 11:59 on December 31, 2011 and most importantly – who you will kiss not that it's a big deal here in the Philippines. :))

Here's my favorite moment in New Year's Eve, Hilary Swank's speech :)

...it's (the ball) suspended there to remind us before we pop the champagne and celebrate the new year, to stop and reflect on the year that has gone by.
To remember both our triumphs and missteps, our promises made and broken. The times we opened ourselves up to great adventures or closed ourselves down for fear of getting hurt. Because that's what new year is all about -- getting another chance. A chance to forgive, to do better, to do more, to give more, to love more. And stop worrying about what if and start embracing what would be. 
So when the ball drops at midnight, and it will drop, let's remember to be nice to each other, kind to each other. And not just tonight but all year long.


Here's the list of their OST:


WATCH THE TRAILER HERE:



You Might Also Like

0 comments