The Dark Knight Rises Movie Review

Thursday, July 26, 2012


Let me just start this review by saying that this movie is without a doubt..EPIC! the conclusion of Batman movie is superb. Bravo to Christopher Nolan for creating such an amazing impact with the last movie in connection with the first installment of The Dark Knight Rises. The significant parts of the movie is detailed, very Nolan indeed plus you can't help but reminisce the first two part installments of the movie. I will definitely miss Christian Bale, I can't imagine anyone who could portray the role so perfectly. Tom Hardy as Bane is just too good to be true. He is really scary. While I'm torn between who the villain is, the twist of having Marion Cotillard as one of the villains is really cool. I didn't see that coming. 


The first thing you should know about The Dark Knight Rises is that it is a very BIG story,  massive, actually. The themes and action that take place are colossal, the plot takes place over a series of months and the film itself has a runtime of 2 hours and 45 minutes. It’s big. 

The second thing that I must make clear is my opinion of Anne Hathaway‘s performance as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. I am a big enough person to confess that my fears that she would not be a good enough actress in the role were completely unfounded. While I, personally, do not find her a better Catwoman than, say, Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, I will say that she is a great Selina Kyle/Catwoman for this film. Where Pfeiffer‘s Catwoman was a bit more camp (and fun), Hathaway‘s Catwoman is a bit more realistic (and dark). Hathaway manages to successfully project the nuances that make Catwoman a complex character and she manages to do so in a very believable manner. 




I loved the usage of flashback scenes prepared throughout the film. We see images from both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in the film (though, not a single mention of the Joker was ever made). The flashback scenes helped tie together all 3 films into one cohesive story. I was very happy to see that the Bane character as he is known in the comics is, for the most part, kept intact. 

There is an excellent homage to a pivotal scene in the Knightfall comic book series in this film those of you who have read the books will know what I’m talking about when you see TDKR. Although I figured out the plot twist early on, I still enjoyed watching the development play out. Other reviewers have remarked on how much they loved the ending of the film … I can totally say the same thing, I was breathless and even crying when Batmas eloped together with the Nuclear Bomb at the heart of the ocean but well, good things happen and there will always be the perfect twist in every story.



I don’t know that The Dark Knight Rises will be good enough to garner a Best Picture nomination at the Academy Awards but it’s a very good film, one definitely worth seeing. You will miss half of your life if you didn't get the chance to watch it. It remains to be seen how the Colorado shooting will effect the film’s performance at the box office but I suspect it will still do very well. I liked the film a lot. I will likely see it again. I’m really curious to hear what others think about the film. I can't wait to watch Joseph Gordon-Levitt on the next film. 

The Dark Knight Rises is an excellent bookend to the Batman saga. I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up.


Watch the trailer here:



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Overall, this is not only a perfectly fitting ending to an incredible trilogy; it is also my favorite flick of the year, so far. Much like The Dark Knight, this will probably shoot to the top of critic’s lists, even though some of the reception for this have so far, been a little discouraging, but that’s expected when you have so much hype to live up to. Good review.

    ReplyDelete