The Perks of Being a Wallflower Movie Review

Sunday, September 30, 2012



After how many months of waiting for this movie, I finally watched it with my 
friends last night at Trinoma. :-) I already read the book and although there are some parts of the book that were edited in the movie (happens all the time),
I still love it! :-)



I don't think I could ever hate Emma Watson, she's so adorable and she can 
portray any role with finesse & style. Logan Lerman is equally cute, he's perfect for the role and managed to act quite well. Ezra Miller is overly hilarious! He portrayed the role of Patrick or "Nothing". He actually made me realize how I miss having a gay friend around. They truly make life more bearable and fun. 

It's a story of teens releasing their angst to the world. Each of the 3 main characters has their own story to tell. Quite depressing but it's reality. Charlie, is a freshman still reeling from his brother’s suicide. Chronically shy and socially inept, Charlie is literally counting the days until graduation. Or, at least he is until he has the fortune of hooking up with Sam and her openly gay half-brother, Patrick, who welcome Charlie into their misfits "wallflower" circle, even though he’s a freshman and they’re seniors. I totally love every scene where they exchange gifts and Charlie gave them precious gifts, showcasing how much he know each of them. Mary Elizabeth is totally funny as well, I super laughed when she received a gift from Alice who has a reputation of stealing jeans from Department stores even if she's rich, and said comically "Jeans! I can't believe you actually paid for it!" 



There are some heartbreaking scenes in the movie, whenever Charlie felt depressed over someone leaving hium behind since he has experienced a lot when his mother died of car accident. He has this trauma. Which is why when Sam graduated, she felt depressed once again and was taken to a psychological ward to get treated.

I wasn't expecting to see Nina Dobrev in the movie, she portrays Candace, Charlie's older sister. She looks really pretty in the movie even though he role is just a small part.



Like the book, the movie chronicles the ever-tightening bonds that develop between them over the course of the school year. Some of what transpires is clichéd, like Charlie’s unrequited love for Sam and his confiding in an idyllic teacher (Paul Rudd), who turns the burgeoning writer onto a series of literary classics. But more often than not, “Perks” proves a thoughtful examination of the healing powers of love, friendship and the arts.

Watch the trailer here:


With that I can say.. “I feel infinite.”

Here are some of my favorite lines from the movie/book.
There are quite a few, because I am quite a fan:

“The thing is some girls think they can actually change guys. And what’s funny is that if they actually did change them, they’d get bored. They’d have no challenge left. You just have to give girls some time to think of a new way of doing things, that’s all. Some of them will figure it out here. Some later. Some never. ” 

“…sometimes people use thought to not participate in life.”

“We accept the love we think we deserve.” 

“Then, I turned around and walked to my room and closed my door and put my head under my pillow and let the quiet put things where they are supposed to be.”

“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.” 

“Patrick actually used to be popular before Sam bought him some good music.” 

“Mary Elizabeth is a very interesting person because she has a tattoo that symbolizes Buddhism and a belly button ring and wears her hair to make somebody mad…”

“I just think it’s bad when a boy looks at a girl and thinks that the way he sees the girl is better than the girl actually is. And I think it’s bad when the most honest way a boy can look at a girl is through a camera. It’s very hard for me to see Sam feel better about herself just because an older boy sees her that way.”

“Maybe these are my glory days, and I’m not even realizing it because they don’t involve a ball.” 

“”Sometimes, I look at my parents now and wonder what happened to make them the way they are. And then I wonder what will happen to my sister when her boyfriend graduates from law school. And what my brother’s face will look like on a football card, or what it will look like if it is never on a football card.” (Is Charley afraid that his brother would allow not succeeding at football to be an excuse for wasting the rest of his life feeling sorry for himself?)

“My dad and my brother and my cousins carry [my grandfather] out to the car of the person who is least angry at him.”  

“I don’t think we should base so much on weight, muscles, and a good hair day, but when it happens, it’s nice. It really is.” 

“This is not a time for heroes because nobody will let that happen.”

“The thing is, I didn't know what it said even if it said it very well.”

“I would give someone a record so they could love the record, not so they would always know that I gave it to them.” 

“Something really is wrong with me. And I don’t know what it is.”

“It’s very easy to read, but very  hard to ‘read well.’ “

“After that, whenever I saw him around anywhere, he didn't look like he was there. He looked like he was someplace else. And I think I knew that because that’s how people used to say I was. Maybe they still do. I’m not sure.”

“I almost didn't get an A in math, but then Mr. Carlo told me to stop asking “why?” all the time and just follow the formulas. So, I did. Now, I get perfect scores on all my tests. I just wish I knew what the formulas did. I honestly have no idea.” 

“…and the great part is that I took what the author wrote about and put it in terms of my own life. Maybe that’s what being a filter means.”

“I would die for you. But I won’t live for you.” 

“The great thing about my mom’s purse is that no matter what you need at any give moment, she has it.” 

“If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am. And I don’t want them to carry it around inside. I want them to show me, so I can feel it, too.”

“I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 







You Might Also Like

0 comments