Cagsawa Ruins and The Majestic Mount Mayon

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

This is one of my greatest dream actually, I must admit, to travel to the most popular places in the Philippines, the one that I can used to see only on textbooks when I was a kid.
When I finally got at Cagsawa Ruins, my heart is beating fast and I felt like I was
star struck. Mount Mayon is truly a piece of art. Majestic and beautiful.

From the perfect cone, to it's rich history. I'm smitten. Bits of history:

The Cagsawa Ruins (also spelled as Kagsawa or Cagsaua) are the remnants of an 18th century Franciscan church, the Cagsawa church, built in 1724 and destroyed by the 1814 eruption of the Mayon Volcano. They are located in Barangay Busay, Cagsawa, in the municipality of Daraga, Albay, Philippines.

The ruins, currently protected in a park overseen by the municipal government of Daraga and the National Museum of the Philippines, are one of the most popular tourist destinations in the area. They are considered symbolic of the dangers of living in close proximity with the Mayon Volcano.

It is indeed the most popular and recognizable landmark of Albay Province.
A trip to Bicol will never be complete without a stop at Cagsawa Ruins.

For almost 200 years, history is in front of you when you get the chance to be at this amazing place.  Cagsawa Ruins and managed by the municipality of Daraga. Aside from taking pictures of the post card view of Mount Mayon, visitors can also enjoy shopping several souvenirs like key chains, bags etc. that locals there created from indigenous materials.I bought a handful went I went there together with my I love Bicol shirt :-)

And if you love adventure, then why not try this:

I heard Zac Efron tried this one out when He went here in Manila and he told Ellen DeGeneres that he totally enjoyed it, so I tried it..

Just like Zac Efron here but I didn't got the chance to drive it though, 
maybe in the future :)


How to Get to Cagsawa Ruins:


From Legazpi City: 
Cagsawa is approximately 8 kilometers away from the Legazpi central business district. Take a jeepney (preferably the ones going to the third district (Camalig, Guinobatan, Ligao, Libon, Polangui, Oas) and ask the driver to drop you off at Cagsawa Ruins ( is a very popular place and people can easily teach you how to get there even Drivers will tell you where to ride or how to get there)  the road going to Cagsawa in Barangay Busay, Daraga. 
Look for the large Cagsawa signage at the right side of the road. When you get there, you need to ride a tricycle that will take you to the Cagsawa Ruins. A 10 minutes ride and you will pay P10 each.

I had an amazing time taking fun shot at Cagsawa Ruins together with Van and 
Mount Mayon as my backdrop! You should try it :-)

Some people in the area will approach you if you want to take 
pictures and they will take it for you with these candid shots, super creative! :-)
They are so used to doing it and all you need to give them is a tip for those clicks :-)

It's Really More Fun in the Philippines!
I totally recommend that you travel our native land this Summer, I vow that you will truly enjoy it :-)

Don't miss the fun!
Travel while you're YOUNG! :-)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Mount Mayon looks really majestic. Amazing how perfect it is.. Enjoyed your picture, very funny.. :)

    ReplyDelete